Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Cabochons

My customers always ask me whenever they see my price sign that says, 
Cabochon Earrings $5.00
"What are Cabochons?"
I try to explain them to the best of my knowledge exactly what they are made with and how they are made. But, the truth is I could only go as far as my research on them would take me. Oh yes, there's far more then just being a photographer, designer, owner, packager, and all those things. Research is key!
 
Without Research how to do you know the background of the items you sale? 
So, I decided with all the research I had done to combine forces with my husband, John and start making my own cabochons for my product. That way I never have to order any again! 

My Husband was really excited about this new venture since it included his favorite hobby Molds and Plastic Resin!
But finding out how to get the color in was a challenge. Out of all my research I uncovered that you could use eyeshadow or acrylic paint. None of which worked by the way. We even thought of spray paint! But, we uncovered Pigment Powder for stamping worked best.

We tried Epoxy Clay but that did not work, so he started using his plastic resin in the molds! 
I was pleased with the outcome and here's some of my finished results! I say mine because what took him 4 years to master took me only 5 minutes! But, I had a good teacher and all that great research I did!
These will be coming soon to Inspired Creations! You may already notice some have been listed in the shop!
 photo b2bf2059-f06c-4873-852e-8d963135edf5_zps0e22d82e.jpg
 
John wanted to try Sculpty clay too! This is his outcome! But, remember to please lay aluminum foil down on the pan before you bake it because if you don't and your pan has a light layer of oil on it, the clay will soak it up. (Yes, he learned the hard way)
 photo d76de9c3-4acb-4dd9-b0a1-0cdd9884e9e7_zps9d426141.jpg
 
Now, here's the catch, I will not be selling these wholesale unless a customer requests them. I will only be using these to better serve my customers by offering them more color choices and variety. 
I've had a lot of interest in my Cabochon Earrings at the events!

4 comments:

  1. I too have discovered that research is essential for just about anything to become learned and skilled and your story is a perfect example. I find customers are pleased when I can answer questions about my products with confidence and enthusiasm so they are excited to share the story of their purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that now because I am making them from scratch instead of ordering that I will be able to answer all questions about them with more confidence! Instead of saying, well I just ordered these and put them on the earring posts, I can now say I sure handmake that :)

      Delete
  2. They are so beautiful! How neat that you persevered through all the research and testing different products to make them yourselves!

    ReplyDelete