Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Fun Of Decoupaging

I am having so much fun Decoupaging the glass vases and the wood. These projects started with a little wood plaque that said Love, Pray, Hope on it. And is growing by leaps and bounds everyday. I did my research on the art of Decoupage after John thought it would be a good idea to seal the first plaque. Then I found I had totally glued the paper on with the wrong glue, that's why it wasn't working right.
So, I used the internet to my advantage on this one and researched the word Decoupage for a couple of days. I searched images and articles to learn about this fascinating way to cover things in paper, glue, and sealer. Of course the article explaining what Decoupage is uses this as a definition: Decoupage is the art of decorating an object by gluing colored paper cutouts onto it in combination with special paint effects.
Me paint? Ha! My husband paints much better than me, specially on small items. So, I decided on the glass vases to cover them all in wonderful paper and then seal them.
Photobucket
As you can see, from the vase above (Newly Listed in the booth). I put 5 layers of Mod Podge Glossy on these vases to give a shiny effect. Everyone has their own technique when comes to creating things.
Photobucket
If you've never done Decoupage before and are wondering how to get the paper stuck on the project you are working on. I used Elmer's glue and water. Some of the articles said to use half and half, but I found it to be to watery. So, I would use less water then glue. Should be runny though. And sponge brushes are great to get the glue on the back of the paper. Press on your object and make sure there are no air bubbles. If the glue comes out the side of the paper, that's okay too! Let dry and seal. Some sealers though recommend you sand them after. So, I would use a thin layer on all the layers until you get it built up to where you feel comfortable.
I also used those wonderful Decorative Scissors for Scrapbooking to cut out the paper. If your a starter on this, I would use thin paper versus thick decorative scrapbook paper. On the Black and Cream vase the paper was thick and I had a lot of trouble getting it to stay on the glass versus the White/Blue vase where I used thin paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment